06 July 2008

OUR SPORT

Those of you who know my husband know that he is a competitor by nature. He can turn ordinary, mundane tasks like walking back to my mom's house after the parade into a competition. We've made bets on everything from whether or not he could find a Kenny Rogers baseball card in 20 seconds to how successful it will be to grow corn in our backyard garden (the jury's still out on that one).

Kevin is an athelete...and I try to be one. Since we started dating, we've played many sports and games together that almost always end up in disaster. The problem is: he's good at everything and almost always wins and I am a VERY poor loser. Our relationship nearly ended over a bad round of golf...and playing any card game with him makes me scream. So you'll understand my hesitation when he asked me to play tennis with him.

I'm not a tennis player...I've never understood how to keep score. I cannot serve the ball overhand or keep the ball in the court. So it was with great reluctance that I went with him to the tennis court today. He said he wasn't very good and he just wanted to hit the ball back and forth...he was right! For the first time we met on an even playing field...we spent 45 minutes running and laughing and cheering each other on...and we had the best time ever! No winner. No loser. No tantrums! :) Just Kevin and I enjoying some time together. We completely sucked, but other than that, tennis is definitely our sport!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

How nice! I've never tossed a board game upon losing, but I've sure as heck wanted to!

Amy said...

Where was Rory??? I can't play tennis because I end up laughing too hard and lose all my strength. We have found table tennis to be our sport. Brandon would be competitive but every time I miss the ball and have to bend down and get it he gets a nice view! :)